Saturday, June 14, 2014

Happy Father's Day!

JB here, I don't normally post a lot here, but I figured this blog with its daily readership of 1600 people* would be a good place to post about my dad.  We've shared some fun adventures throughout the years including ski trips, furniture building, and a trip to Ireland, but none have been more rewarding that watching Jackson and my dad become the best of friends.  It's a unique window into what my early childhood may have been like to see them constantly giggling and playing and to see how much J adores his Grandad.



 My dad models fatherhood for me in a few different ways.  The first of which is dedication.  Being a father can be exhausting, especially in context of Jackson's endless supply of energy.  But Grandad always seems to be available to play with Jackson and interact with him even when the easier thing would probably be just to turn on a kid's show on Netflix.

The second thing I see in my dad's interactions with J is being a servant.  This does not mean catering to a child's every whim, but rather working to provide for Jackson even at the cost of one's own personal time or "to-do"list.  Examples include the things that my dad has built for Jackson including a table for his trains and a stool to help him get into bed, or just taking an afternoon off from work to help take care of J when we have childcare issues.

Finally (and this list is by no means exhaustive) I see fatherhood modeled in my dad's relationship with Jackson in their friendship.  I see their faces light up when they see each other.  I see how they really enjoy spending time together, whether it's walking on the beach or trying to play baseball.

So all of this is to say, Dad/Grandad we couldn't ask for a better father, grandfather, role model, and friend.  We are so thankful you are in our lives and wish you a
Happy Father's Day!  

















*this is an estimate, not based on actual numbers or readership

No comments:

Post a Comment