Sunday, August 26, 2012

The Project of the Decade


As dad says, the PROJECT OF THE DECADE is finished.  Mom is a gifted seamstress, knitter and cross-stitcher.  She makes birth samplers for all of the babies in the family, including Matt and me when we were born.  Jonathan and I were thinking that we would not want one hanging on our wall and we weren't going to have much shelf space to display one, so I set out to Michael's to find a suitable cross-stitch to work in Jackson's room.  I came across this one, which is a baby blanket with big stitches approximately 4x the size of a typical stitch. Therefore, I thought since the stitches were bigger it just must be the same effort as a typical cross-stitch.  Boy, was I wrong! Mom started working on this while I was pregnant and just finished this week. She labored over this at home, on vacation and in the car.  She even went to great lengths to make sure that none of the stitches went through to the back. Mom said that if she died during this process, she wanted to be buried with this blanket as she felt so attached to it over the last year.

We are so grateful for how she loves Jackson and will treasure this labor of love.

I guess she should get started now on one for our second baby (no plans for #2 yet)...gives her plenty of time :)  Just kidding, mom. We can pick a mini birth sampler for the next one.  

2 comments: