Thursday, August 9, 2012

Mom's morning out


Last week, Jonathan offered me an amazing gift, that he would take care of Jackson from when he woke up in the morning until noon! Wow.  As I lay in bed listening to the sound of them playing downstairs, I was thankful for God's many blessings in my life. A considerate husband, a healthy baby, a super crazy dog and our new life as a family of three + Link.  After feeding Jackson, I headed out to read at starbucks for almost three hours. Curled up in a comfy brown chair, I did some of my Bible study and some pleasure reading while enjoying a cup of their dark roast of the day. Perfect.

Despite all the signs I was giving to the contrary, the nice stranger next to me must have imagined a sign on my shirt that said, "Please talk to me", so when his conversation began to interrupt my peaceful morning, I headed over to the home of a new friend with a two month old baby to bring her dinner. We enjoyed some get-to-know you time on the couch and talked about doing dinner together with our husbands. I was so thankful for the blessing of caring for her, uninterrupted, hands-free. As much of a blessing Jackson is, it is also difficult to have purposeful time with friends to really give them my undivided attention and truly listen.

I have realized that amidst all the craziness of raising a baby, being married, working, etc, I still need to maintain a little time for just me, to relax, connect with myself and to stay healthy so I can better fulfill all the roles to which I have been called.  I am looking forward to many more dates with myself and a cup of the latest dark roast.

1 comment:

  1. So glad you got to enjoy this! Every year for Mother's Day, Michael gives me 6 "coupons" for a free morning out, and I love looking at them on the fridge each day when I need some extra encouragement. Keep it up, Mama :)

    ReplyDelete