Monday, August 20, 2012

Behold, the power of Cheese

We have a baby who is obsessed with cheese. It started as an easy addition to a meal and a way to provide him with good fats. It has turned into a ridiculous obsession that causes him to refuse veggies and even fruits (besides bananas) and shriek loudly when we don't give him copious amounts of cheese at every meal.  He is cut off from cheese and bananas this week in order to get him back on track with veggies, grains and other non-cheese related products. 

I feel as if I have been very out of touch with life lately, which is probably because we have been in Delaware twice and Hatteras for several days, creating a strange work schedule and more time in the car than at home.  Jackson has been a trooper throughout everything, probably helped by the fact that we got a new carseat that gives him a little more room (even though he is still not happy about the whole rear-facing thing).  He has been fussy for about a week, maybe sick, maybe teething, maybe mad that we are weaning him. Sometimes I wish that he could speak and tell me what he is feeling. Life would be much easier if he could say, "I have a headache", "I am really hungry/thirsty", "I am just having an off day".  We are trying to read his signals but sometimes that proves to be very difficult and we are just left with a baby who is screaming for no apparent reason. I guess we are all entitled to some of those moments :)

We have really enjoyed the month of August, as Jonathan is on an easy rotation.  We just joined the Norfolk zoo and loved getting to see the giraffes up close! 

He loved the doiley-boppers at a friend's house
Exploring
Bath time with Grandmom

When we traveled to Buxton a few years ago for vacation, we were told that we had to to go the Orange Blossom Cafe, almost directly across from our hotel. It's a tiny cafe with 4-5 tables and a large glass case of freshly-made pastries the size of my head! I am not a doughnut person, but each year I get an apple ugly and it satisfies my sweet tooth for the year. We made the 40 minute trip from Hatteras last week and gave Jackson his first taste of the delicious treat. You know how some babies just stare at their smash cake for their first birthday and aren't sure what to do with it? Well, that will not be the case with Jackson. We are going to take bets on how short a time it will take him to eat the whole thing.


On the beach with Susannah Byrd. Don't they look so grown up? 


We have also enjoyed some solo beach time, thanks to the Byrne grandparents. They are so great about keeping Jackson back at the house while he naps which allows us to have several hours down at the ocean. Jonathan has worked on his Stand Up Paddleboard skills while I have worked on my tan and caught up on some reading.

Here is most of the McKay and Renz families at a memorial service for Nana on August 11th in Delaware. It was so good to get together with everyone to celebrate her rich life on earth.  The last time we were all together was for their 50th wedding anniversary 9 years ago. What a blessing to have such an example in our lives.

And finally, it's the big 3-0 for Jonathan and our friend Ben, who shares my birthday. I however, am still very young at 29.  In a tradition started several years ago with my friend Stacy who was born on the same day and year, we now celebrate August birthdays with a relaxed beach day and cookout at the Byrnes.


WHEW! I think we might have a few normal days coming up. Time to recover from all the August excitement

1 comment: