Saturday, April 28, 2012

Mommy, you are so funny!

And now, a little story from our guest blogger, my mom! 




As a mother, you don’t always say the right thing.  In fact, usually you say the absolutely wrong thing.  But one glorious day in Heather’s life, I said the best thing ever.  In her second grade class, when a parent arrived, the other kids could talk about the child.  When I arrived, the kids talked about how smart she was.  Finally I got to speak and I said, “Do you know what I like  the most about Heather?”  Of course they all thought I would talk about how smart and well-behaved she was.  But I said, “ She’s so funny!”   I have seldom seen Heather’s face light up like it did  at that moment.  Who knew to be funny was her secret dream!  Of course, her dad and I really did think she was a riot then and now, too.


Yes, I LONG to be funny. I ACHE to be funny. My boss makes me tell jokes at work because he can laugh at just how not funny I am. My joke telling is awkward because I forget the punchline and have to think so hard about the joke that I have long pauses and no solid delivery. Occasionally, Jonathan will truly laugh at something I say and I am on cloud nine. It feels amazing to be funny for a minute! 


One of the best things about being a mom is that Jackson thinks I am SO FUNNY! And he has started to be genuinely funny as well, with his faces, noises and personality.  We have fun just giggling and playing games all day. I am sure the neighbors think I am crazy on the days we have our windows open but who cares!? My son thinks I am funny and I am going to savor these moment because eventually he'll be a teenager and even though I have not changed one bit, I will suddenly no longer be funny.   

No comments:

Post a Comment