Wednesday, April 25, 2012

So, like, what do you do all day?

I went to introduce Jackson to some coworkers at another one of our clinics and this is what one of them asked me last Monday. I went through a myriad of emotions in about 10 seconds.  It was a genuinely honest question but part of me felt like my answer was going to be insignificant, like I had to prove myself, to show her that I was still important.  Part of me felt exhausted just thinking about my answer! But most of me felt proud to state:
we get dressed, change messy diapers, take walks, read books, sit, eat, take naps (sometimes cuddling together), bathe, eat more, laugh, sing, play with Lincoln, have play dates, talk, change clothes, and snuggle. It is a big change from a 40 hour work week, real clothes, adult conversation and higher level thought processes.  But, I feel like I am doing very important work in caring for our son and I would not change a thing about where I am in life right now.
on a walk with Ellie

First time up close with a fire truck at the elementary school carnival


grandmother Beth came to babysit

enjoying the spring
Well, I would change the fact that my hair (which is significantly more grey since having Jackson) is still falling out in clumps around the house. I still have 'mushy brain', as I call it...the inability to come up with words, thoughts or basically use my brain for anything else except coming up with kid songs one after another.  I would change the fact that there is no such thing as sleeping in (not that I ever slept in before...but I was also never awake multiple times in the night soothing or feeding a fussy baby).

And speaking of changing things...my reflexes have changed dramatically since having Jackson. Before, I could quickly doge an elbow in an open water swim, swerve around a squirrel on the bike path or quickly catch a patient who was getting a little unsteady.  Now, I pride myself (yes, I pretty much gave myself a pat on the back today) on my ability to reach out and catch spit up with my bare hand before it plops on the carpet and to intercept a falling pacifier before it lands in a pile of dog hair.  Oh, how things have changed.  :)

But, to go back to the original question, we spend a lot of the day eating now that Jackson has started solids, or semi-solids. Whatever you want to call them. This was his first time eating oatmeal and boy does he look worried.  He's moved onto sweet potatoes and his face looks even more disturbed (Jonathan is hoping that J won't like them and then it can be a sweet potato free house because I won't cook them for myself that often). Next week, green peas and apples!

No comments:

Post a Comment