Friday, February 27, 2015

Life before all the snow

I think all this snow has stolen my creativity and desire to write! Thankfully, there are pictures to sum up a little of what we've been up to in early February. 

Jackson was so kind to share his awful cold with us. He started throwing up in late January and gave that to Jonathan and me, and he passed his head cold along to Rachel and me. Jonathan got a little of it a few weeks later. The kids and I were down and out for 2 weeks. Rachel had the sniffles and then suddenly got much sicker in the span of 10 minutes when I put her in the stroller to take a walk. She just began to look ill and spiked a little fever and intense congestion. Poor girl would not smile for several days and we kept her in the carseat to sleep so she could breathe. We watched lots of movies, drank lots of tea and water and went through a Costco-sized package of tissue boxes. It was pretty gross. I went to sleep at 6 or 6:30 every night for about 10 days. Thank goodness we are all healthy and back to normal! 
 MANY thanks to Beth and Matt for coming to help out and for Jonathan, who was dad-of-the-year when I was sick. This picture below is JB, coming off of night shifts, staying away even longer to care for the kiddos when I literally could not get out of bed. Grateful does not even begin to describe what I feel for him that day and many, many others.   
 R just adores her grandparents. She can recognize their voices on the phone, especially BB and Pop Pop. She lights up when she sees all of them. It's so sweet to see her begin to recognize her special people.  
 Remember when it wasn't snowing every day? When was that? Early February? Seems SO.LONG.AGO.  But as a friend reminded me today, Spring is coming quickly. It also made me think of this season when we are longing for Jesus to come again. Spring come quickly. Jesus come quickly! 
 My boys love to cruise around ODU on their scooter (J) and skateboard (JB).  Link gets a kick out of this and somehow, despite the fact that he faints while jogging or playing fetch, he can sprint next to JB on his skateboard for an hour and not look like he is going to die. Rach and I tag along and watch all the college girls swoon over my boys :) 
 Happy Valentine's Day! 
 Jonathan and I haven't had a date for Valentine's day in ages! We really don't care about the holiday, but it was so nice to get out and be alone. We used to long for Jackson to start talking when he was 18 months old and now sometimes we long for just a moment of adult conversation that is not punctuated with curious toddler questions. We waited until Monday to get a reservation and every place in Norfolk was completely booked except for 5pm and 9:30pm reservations. We ended up at my favorite place, No Frill where we splurged and got 2 desserts: mile-high carrot cake and a decadent chocolate ganache. Yes, we finished every bite.  
 We LOVE getting hand-me-downs for both kids and all of Rachel's are coming from Aunt Karen. My other aunt, Aunt Kathy, made this beautiful dress for cousin Piper, which was Rachel's Valentine's Day dress. What a talented seamstress! We can't wait for a few warmer days when she can wear it to church. 
 It's harder to have some traditions in our family because Jonathan's schedule is so irregular. I would love to have "go-running-and-eat-pancakes" Saturdays, or Friday "pizza-and-a-movie" nights. So, we decided to start what I hope will be a once a month tradition of Dinner and a movie. We bought Planes and ate dinner in front of the TV (gasp!). J thought it was the most amazing thing and we are excited to continue this new tradition.  

No comments:

Post a Comment