Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Stomach Flu

The whole family was sick for the month of December and early January with the respiratory cold that has been going around. When I got home from work last Thursday, I got the dreaded stomach flu. It came in fast and furious and left me exhausted on the couch all day Friday. Jackson and I had to cancel our trip to see mom, dad, Aunt Karen, Riley and Aunt Janice in Springfield because I was in no state to travel and thought it best not to share germs. 
J man was the original sick guy in the family this season
I called mom and dad to let them know and several minutes later dad called back and said, "I'm on the way!" Wow. What an act of love. I could not have made it through Friday without him taking care of J. The boys took Lincoln for a walk, played games, giggled and splashed around for bath time.  I alternated between watching them, sipping ginger ale and sleeping under several blankets on the couch. It's incredibly difficult to be sick with a toddler. Again, another moment of motherhood that makes me grateful for my own mother (and father).  

J loved how Pop Pop jumped up, forward, in circles. I could hear his giggling from inside!  I felt good enough for a walk Saturday morning and we went to our Pastor's house, where they were getting rid of a TON of toys. We grabbed a whole box of dinosaurs which Jackson has been obsessed with since!

Other than being sick, we've had a great month, going to the Children's Museum with Ally and Lizzy Kay (too hard to get a picture of the four of us, or even the two kids together...they were too busy!)...
Organizing produce at the Children's Museum
...going to the Trinity Playground with Val and Sofi, Kristi and Eli...
coordinating animal hats
 ...and re-organizing my water bottle/coffee mug drawer.  

J has been really difficult, especially at meal times. He might be teething or just thinking that he can scream to get what he wants. We see a little defiant behavior when he purposely feeds Lincoln from the high chair, looking us in the eye as we tell him 'no'. We're learning how to navigate the new places in parenthood, including discipline and grace. Jonathan and I are not perfect and we never will be. We continue to fail again and again, and yet God loves us and sent his Son for us.  We are praying that we can be patient with Jackson, loving him at all times, regardless of his behavior, but striving to discipline and show him God's grace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment