Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Picky Picky

Being a parent just gets greater (and harder) every day. We love to see how much Jackson is learning and to enjoy his new skills.  His is making large strides in his physical development, running, climbing and becoming a master organizer/stacker of objects. With that comes the frustration of not having lots of words to help us understand what he wants to do or needs help with.  This leads to some tantrums, usually during dinner time, where he is frustrated and I can't do anything to figure it out.  He is running around the house and neighborhood which has lead to his fair share of falls, but he continues to get up and keep moving after most of them. A few have required a bear hug from mom (while I check for blood on his head) until long after he has stopped crying.  He loves to climb, figuring out how to move objects to serve as steps to get onto the couch, and how to climb up my legs and torso to sit on my shoulders and reach high shelves. What a crazy boo! 

As with many boys, he is slower to talk, so I was really excited when I came home and Jonathan said, "Hey Jackson, can you say 'ma ma'?". Wow! Jonathan had taught J to say mom!!! This was going to be great. I leaned in and smiled really big at Jackson, waiting for his words to come. He turned to look and me and said, "Da da da da". Man...we see who the favorite parent is :) 

Jackson learned to point this month. He also learned where his nose is. Put the two together and what do you get?
 Picky Picky!
Aside from the boogers, it's actually really exciting to see him point to noses in books and on his stuffed animals. We love seeing his little brain make connections. 
He also really loves stuffed animals now too. I have fond memories of my little brother being surrounded by stuffed animals on his bed, in his room, in the car. He had names for all of them and just loved caring for them. I think it is so sweet for a little boy to care for his animals and can't wait to help Jackson name all of his! 

J loves to help out around the house and is always moving so I thought it would be a good idea to put him to work.  For each meal time, he comes to the kitchen to get his bib and tray and carries them to the highchair in the dining room. For bath time, he climbs upstairs, helps to take his socks and shirt off and I hand him the washcloth and towel and he walks into the bathroom (where he proceeds to try to throw himself over the edge of the tub).  Jonathan and I think it's very important that Jackson be part of this family and that means pitching in where you are able to.  It's great that he is at the age where he loves to put toys back into containers and we can call it "Fun Clean Up Time!"  
playing with my wooden duck from childhood
 We are so lucky to spend so much quality time with the Byrne Grandparents. They babysit him while Jonathan catches up on sleep pre/post night shifts, come out to our house for dinner and watch him while I run errands.  Jackson lights up when he sees them! Beth has taught him all about vacuuming and sweeping the garage. Our little cleaner!

playing with his Matchbox collection
 Now that he is a much better walker, we often stroll around the neighborhood in the afternoons and look at mulch, cats and leaves scattered in front yards  Jackson has protested the BOB jogger recently, much to my dismay, so we have chosen walking over running.  The walks don't quite qualify as cardio exercise of any sort for me, but the quality time with J man is priceless. I love when he reaches up to hold my hand.  We enjoy having a park one block from our house and take advantage of the swings, slide and collecting gumballs.
 Isn't this bomber jacket precious? These are the perks of getting hand-me-downs from really stylish friends...my son looks like a fashion model and I didn't have to do any of the shopping! 
slowly learning how to throw to Lincoln
Finally, we have been sharing a cold between the three of us (I'm sure all of you know how that goes!), so we have been feeling pretty icky for several weeks. However, we rallied to celebrate Ellie's first birthday party on Saturday. This was a birthday bash that rivaled that of Sofi's back in November. These girls know how to throw a great sha-bang!  We enjoyed some adult drinks, chocolate cake, bubbles, goldfish and a photo booth! What a cute idea and a great take home.  Ellie also sent everyone home with a balloon that said, "Thanks for being my friend". Balloons, bubbles and boxes are the best toys.
Ally, Kaitlin and me
Kaitlin and Evan (2 months), first time with both boys out of joggers/car seats!

No comments:

Post a Comment