Monday, January 30, 2012

Teething...

...please make it stop. 

Or at least let him get all his teeth at one time so we don't have to go through this over and over again.

Last Sunday, Jackson had a blow-out diaper in church. I stood up to bounce him during a prayer an a friend's husband had to come up to me and whisper, "diarrhea". Great. Not only are we both covered but I look like a completely incompetent parent for not even noticing! He has proceeded to have very messy diapers for the last week, soaking through both of our outfits, running down his leg and onto the floor (oh Lincoln would LOVE to get a lick of that) and requiring immediate immersion in a bath. It's a good thing I am way more comfortable with giving him baths now or this would be a very stressful process!  

I have suspected that he has been teething for weeks now and this has added to my suspicions. All symptoms can be explained away on their own but when put together hopefully mean he is getting his first pearly white!  If not, then he won't have anything to show for all the tears, screaming and pain he is going through. And then I just have a fussy baby with no excuse to give the babysitter or strangers in public who are giving me the stink eye for bringing a fussy baby into the store (well, today he was finally quiet and I was returning something at Farm Fresh before doing my shopping and the employee managed to pop not one but two huge balloons right near us...our trip ended before it even began, leaving me with no food for my babysitter tomorrow).  

Our life here at 14 weeks is characterized by: 
Heavy drooling (like 4 bibs in an hour)
Gnawing on things (he won't take a frozen anything but he will take his hands...until they blister, poor guy)
Loose stools (gross)
Coughing/gagging from so much drool (then I look like that mom who brings a sick kid out in public...I promise it's not a cold, he just can't swallow)
Not sleeping (sad for us...he was doing 8 hours somewhat consistently)
Fussing while eating (this is just a bummer for me; I really enjoy our time together and hate when he seems so frustrated and uncomfortable)
Acting like he is in pain (this is the worst. All I want to do is make it stop). 

But amidst the copious amounts of bodily fluids, tears and pain, he has moments like this one below where he is his usual smiling self and I just melt.  I realize that even though my left bicep is too tired to function anymore, I can still find a little more strength to hold and comfort him while he's teething.  I happened to talk to my nurse today and she said, "poor you", and I said, "No, poor Jackson".  I'll find a way to deal with his crying, my lack of sleep and general fatigue from taking care of him but he is the one who hurts.  I am starting to understand what it is like to be a parent and want to do anything to make your baby stop hurting.  I wish I could take the pain away from him, but until then, I am welcoming suggestions for making it through this time!

1 comment:

  1. I saw your blog post on Facebook....hope Jackson feels better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete