Saturday, April 16, 2011

We've been busy!

Normally, I am not a big fan of Valentines Day.  This year, however, we were thrilled to find out we are going to be parents! After 4 inconclusive tests, we finally saw a strong "+" on Sunday morning!  We celebrated with an Italian dinner (no wine for me....bummer!) and new conversations about names, strollers and what in the world this adventure would be like for us!

It was hard to contain the surprise, especially since we found out at 2 weeks.  I was incredibly tired; who knew that such fatigue was possible. Quickly gone were the days of getting up at 4:30 to run or bike and staying up until 11 with Jonathan.  I started to occupy a fairly permanent spot on the couch and discovered American Idol (I'm finally getting into it, only 12ish seasons behind everyone else), Modern Family and Minute to Win It.

The only cravings I had in the beginning were for goldfish (downing almost a whole bag in one sitting!), tomato soup and frozen yogurt (well, that was a pre-existing craving).  My strong aversions actually worked in my favor, including alcohol and coffee. If anyone wants a Costco-sized bag of delicious Sumatra coffee, let me know. I made it through approximately 1/118 of it before the pregnancy-induced nausea set in!

The biggest challenge was keeping my eyes open and staying focused at work. I told Jonathan that working 40 hours was getting in the way of my napping! Some of my patients and co-workers noticed that I was unusually exhausted and I was beginning to run out of excuses: we had a late night, church stuff, Lincoln was sick, Jonathan got up at 3:30am, etc.

We had a chance to tell Jonathan's parents during dinner at Snappers when I was at week 8.  We handed them an ultrasound and said, "look what Jonathan found while he was working at the emergency room".  They could not contain their surprise, or their desire to call their best friends right away!! My parents came to town 2 weeks later and we had a chance to tell them in person, even though it was later than we wished.  They immediately wanted to pick out grandparent names and know how we were feeling.  Matt and Chase heard the good news that afternoon while they were visiting Christian's new baby (their nephew).  What a lucky pair - they got engaged, became an aunt and uncle and will be getting married soon (super excited for you two!!!).

We have slowly told our friends over phone calls, lunches and emails and have had such a great response. Many of our friends have a baby(s) or are currently pregnant (5 delivering in May and July!), and I am excited to have so many people to go to for advice or stroller jogs at the Boardwalk.

We will keep you updated on our new adventure!!!! Pictures to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment