Monday, June 10, 2013

strawberry pickin'

One of the great things about living in Hampton Roads is having the chance to go strawberry picking! My boss clued me into a place that is a 25 minute drive instead of 45-60 minutes which is much more feasible with a toddler. As much fun as it is to drive an hour, pick berries until you are sweaty and sticky and drive the long return trip....I like this plan much better. 
Jackson and I invited our neighbor, Lane, and her son William to join us on a gorgeous (but hot) Monday morning. Jackson loved being outside and holding clutching the bucket as we walked up and down the rows. After 10 minutes of picking I wondered why our basket was not as full as I expected it to be.   I looked in and found many hulls with no berries on them. How could that be? For every 3 berries I plunked in the bucket, Jackson ate two! Needless to say, we had to change his diaper half way through picking and run him under the hose when we got home, but it was a GREAT day! The berries were perfectly sweet and we ate them all in 2 days. Who needs strawberry pie or jam when you can just eat fresh berries by themselves. Yum.  




With Lane and William

No comments:

Post a Comment