Friday, February 24, 2012

Play dates

One of the best things about being a mom (really, there are too many to list!) is how many new friends you can make because of your kids and the new bond of motherhood. I have really been blessed with so many new friendships in the past few months and am so excited to maintain these friendships as our kids grow.  I like that these new bonds feel so natural, not forced just because we have newborns.  It is so comforting to have women around me who have recently been where I am or will arrive there soon after me. We share stories, laughs, tears and the joys of motherhood as we walk/run the neighborhood, drink coffee or go shopping (GUMP consignment sale tomorrow!).  

I still treasure the friendships I have with people who are not yet moms because we get to talk about something besides Jackson! As much as I love being a mom, I realize that it's temping to get sucked into becoming 100% "Jackson's mom" and losing my status as Jonathan's wife and "just Heather".  I was talking with a good friend today about how easy it is to completely focus on Jackson and forget about the other important relationships in my life, namely my marriage to Jonathan.  I take him for granted and assume that we will have time for us later.  It's easy to put things in hold when there are numerous feedings, diaper changes, tummy time, baths, etc.  But, it is important for us to maintain a strong bond of marriage to create a strong family and one in which Jackson will have a good example to follow for his future.  So this week I am reflecting on my roles as God's daughter, Jonathan's wife, Jackson's mother, Tom and Nancy's daughter and Heather.  I am so thankful for everyone who makes me the person I am today.  May you all be encouraged in your various roles this week.  

And a special thank you to those of you who have given us the precious gift of free babysitting so we can enjoy a date night here and there. We are forever grateful that you have also realized the importance of maintaining a strong marriage so we can raise our amazing baby boy! 

We had a play date with two mutual friends, Kelly (from church) and Christina (from VA Beach) and their precious kids: Corbin, Weston (not pictured), Helen and Jackson. Kelly made an amazing lunch which was such a treat! 
With all the baby play dates, Lincoln has been feeling left out so we had a play date for him today also. My friend Kelly F from PT school just got Gus, a puppy from Westben (where Lincoln was born). He came over to play today and tired Lincoln out! Thanks Gus :)

No comments:

Post a Comment